Director of Finance Job Opening
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
Summary: Under the supervision of the Village Manager, responsible for the financial oversight of the Village of Lincoln Heights. Candidate must have the following: Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field; experience in fund accounting and budget preparation; and familiar with income tax preparation and collection laws; have excellent communication skills; and be a self-starter. The ideal candidate will have experience in municipal government and working with the Creative Microsystems Inc. (CMI) and Uniform Accounting Network (UAN) programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
This list is Illustrative Only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by and/or under this position.
- Plans, completes, supervises and coordinates the Village’s fiscal and accounting activities including: financial accounting and reporting; internal controls; internal auditing; management of financial software systems; payroll processing; administration of the Village’s business license function, billing collection of local taxes and fees, and administers the financial activities of the Village in accordance with accepted fiscal practices and local, State and Federal regulations.
- Receives, records and processes invoices and reconciles accounts.
- Prepare or supervise preparation of the Village’s annual financial report(s); oversee annual independent audit; and tax administration
- Oversees the year-end closing of financial records. Prepares year-end adjustments and schedules. Works with the auditor s to ensure accuracy of financial reporting.
- Prepare and coordinate the Village’s annual budget; prepare related presentations and budget documents; and provide monthly financial report and financial update
- Develop and assist in the development of financial studies, plans, forecasts, estimates, and finance-related ordinances and resolutions. Gather, interpret, and prepare data for studies, reports, and recommendations.
- Serve as a financial advisor to the Village Council, Village Manager, and other Village staff. As requested, make related presentations to Village Council, committees and commissions and represent the Village at finance-related events.
- As requested, advise and consult with the County Administration, Hamilton County Department of Planning and Development, and County Treasurer on accounting and financial matters of the Village of Lincoln Heights.
- Establishes policies and procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies-
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting principles and practices and the ability to apply them accurately.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and legal regulations of municipal finance, financial reporting, budgeting, accounting, and investing Municipal operations and policy
- Extensive knowledge of with computer application software such as word processors, databases and spreadsheets.
- Experience in the design, evaluation, selection, installation, set-up and maintenance of computer hardware and software applications for financial and accounting software systems.
- Knowledge and experience with accounts receivables, accounts payable, purchase order, and payroll systems and ability to oversee and supervise technical and clerical staff performing those duties.
- Skills in assembling and analyzing financial data, developing operating and capital budgets and preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
- Skills in implementing and providing diverse programs and services, and directing the utilization of personnel, equipment and other resources.
- Ability to evaluate and control a variety of municipal financial services, and to make sound policy and procedural recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing, and make public presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and use good judgement, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with employees, Village officials, professional contacts, community leaders, the media, and the public.
- Ability to attend meetings outside of normal business hours and work extended hours as operational needs demand.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: A bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in accounting, finance, business administration or related field is required. Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in finance, accounting, or related field is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid Ohio Driver License in good standing.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Apply at Lincoln Heights Administration Building, 1201 Steffen Avenue, Lincoln Heights, Ohio 45215, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Send cover letter and resume to Joyce Powdrill, Village Manager: email@example.com or mail to above address. Position open until filled. EOE